Tabs

Tuesday 30 August 2011

What's it like to be ... a Personal Trainer

Okay so now you've read all about my painful bootcamp experience, let's flip the coin for an insight into what it's like on the other side as a personal trainer.   May I introduce you to Ms Sabina Rail - too smiley for her own good, tower of strength, adrenaline junkie, caffeine addict, drinking buddy and PT extraordinaire.
My vitals
Sabina Rail
Personal Trainer
Vision Personal Training, Sydney Australia
Mother of 2
Age: 34

My back-story
I have 12 years work experience in the finance sector and was getting fed up with a desk job crunching numbers.  I had also let myself go after having children and decided that something in my life had to change so I signed up for personal training at a small studio.  It specifically appealed to me because I felt I was getting personalised care and it was not as intimidating or clinical as large gyms. It was a small and friendly studio where everyone knew your name.  I quickly made friends who were on similar journeys and it made the experience much more worthwhile.  I lost 10kgs post baby weight and have not looked back.  My knowledge of nutrition and exercise continuously developed and I was inspired to become a personal trainer myself.

My heart said
You can do whatever it is that you ever set out to do.  You have been blessed with with a wonderful and supportive family who have always done all that they could to help you achieve your dreams.  Go for it girl!

My head said
What on earth are you thinking?!  Giving up job security and certainty to pursue a dream that may not live up to your expectations.  Then there are the practical considerations to overcome - how to fit in my studies with full time work, a family to look after and a house to maintain.  I enlisted the help of my family in looking after my children when I had nights at college and gave up my Saturdays for 16 weeks whilst I completed my PT studies.  I had to plan my days down to the last detail and co-ordinated 4 peoples' diaries to ensure that my kids weren't missing out too much of me.  My head finally caught up with my heart and I followed the dream to my now reality.  I can easily say that I have never loved a 'job' as much as I love what I do now.

My job involves
Waking up at times most people consider to be ungodly or insane - 5am!  I see clients from 5:30am through to 7:30pm and somewhere in between I squeeze in picking up the kids from school, doing homework and spending time with them, and then going back to the studio to see more clients.  I take my clients through exercise routines - both weight training and cardio sessions - and spend most of my time coaching and educating them about the importance that nutrition plays in achieving their desired results.  Most of my clients start their journey with fat loss goals and then go on to fitness goals - completing a fun run or marathon for the first time.

My highlights
Waking up every day knowing that I am able to make a positive contribution to peoples' lives.  The best part of my job is when my clients achieve their goals and more, and having shared that journey with them enriches my own life.  I also get to set and achieve my own fitness goals.  I completed my first sprint triathlon earlier this year and am now in training for a body sculpting competition.  I get to train with some unbelievably talented trainers who inspire me to be the best that I can be, both personally and professionally.

My lowlights
Guilt - some days not being able to spend as much quality time with my family as I would like, but it's early days yet and I have so much more to learn, that the lowlights really aren't all that low.

My mantra
It's either all or nothing - I find that I can't ever do things halfway!
My ideal happiness
A beachfront cabana on a tropical island with my family

My last word
Everyone needs a personal trainer, even personal trainers themselves!  In today's super fast paced society, we all need someone to keep us accountable and to be in our corner no matter what happens.  I love what I do with a passion and would not change it for the world.  Have an awesome day - get out for a walk or run as often as you can and look after yourself.