Tabs

Wednesday 3 August 2011

What's it like to be ... a Hairdresser?

Ms Pewsey - Super stylist
Most women have spent a great deal of their lives in hair salons. Some hairdressers are better than others, some save us from bad hair days or bad break-ups, colour correct and even work their magic to transform us to red carpet-ready. May I introduce you to Ms. Pewsey - Sage, Shrink and Hairstylist-extraordinaire.
My vitals
Taryn Pewsey
Level 6 Stylist (most senior is 10)
Headmasters, Wimbledon Village
Age 27

My background
Born in South Africa - graduated from Carlton International Hairdressing Academy in Johannesburg.  Completed my apprenticeship with a Stylist at a Carlton Hair Salon and after 10 months 'moved onto the floor' and started taking on my own clients.   With stars in my eyes,  migrated to London in 2007 on a 2 year working holiday.  Met a guy etc etc and here I still am.

My heart said
I drove by the Hairdressing Academy one day and thought hairdressing would probably suit me. I love talking to people and love hair so heck, why not give it a go. Enrol.  As to moving to London - maybe I should listen to my parents and leave South Africa.  Hairdressing is such a portable skill as everyone in the world needs a haircut, so it doesn't matter where I am, I should be able to find work.

My head said
Hairdressing - sounds like fun. Give it your best shot.  London? - Just go, get your parents off your back.  You're moving to London, an English speaking country for goodness sake - how easy is that.  Earning pounds is a serious drawcard.

My job involves
pretty much anything involving hair and what a client wants - cutting, blowing, curling, straightening, colouring, styling.  Mentoring of junior staff and some management of the salon but management isn't really me.  I prefer client interaction and hair challenges.  I love being able to deliver a colour to clients with unique colour requests.

My hours are 9-6pm or 12-9pm and we have 5 day week which starts on a Sunday which means I pretty much work every weekend and take off one or two days during the week.  We get 4 weeks annual leave but no leave can be taken in the month of December.  A lunch break is non-existent as you tend to eat when there is a gap between clients, but the salon tends to book clients back to back to ensure every slot is filled so you eat when you can.

My highlights
My job suits my personality as I love hairdressing and am very social. I love chatting and find it rather therapeutic being able to chat on the job.  I like seeing clients happy with what I've done for them.  Just yesterday I blowdried a lady's hair and she was so thrilled with it, beamed and thanked me profusely for making her smile.  That makes me smile.  I also got to cut Theo Paphitis' (from Dragon's Den) hair, not that I knew who he was at the time!

My lowlights
Rudeness - some clients are plain rude and treat us like we are 'the help', uneducated and here to serve.  It's also difficult to mind read as a client may say they want a fringe and you ask them twice whether they're sure and lo and behold you cut a bang and presto - the client regrets it immediately and bursts into tears and you feel like the worst person on earth having to utter the words "it's only hair it will grow back".  One lady we call 'psycho pen lady' went hysterical after her hair colour wasn't what she expected and then proceeded to blame me for not being able to get to a pen shop in time to get her daughter the pen she needed for her exams.  That was certainly a first - being blamed for someone failing their exams!

My mantra
You only need to believe that you can achieve something.  You don't need to know what that something is, how it's going to be achieved or when or why, but only that you will achieve it.

My ideal happiness
Being on a posh game reserve sipping a glass of vino and taking in the beauty of the wildness and serenity

My last word
Hairdressing is not as easy as everyone thinks.  Like most things, if you want to go far you need to take it seriously.  The hours are long but it's very rewarding.